Wednesday, October 17, 2007

LOMOgraphy

Having no prior knowledge about Lomography, I find this photographic approach incredibly alluring and fascinating…and the fact that the tool is a cheap, plastic, portable camera makes it even better. The Lomo approach proves, as Margot addressed in her own response, that flawless technology and expensive cameras are not prerequisites for good, and even great, photography. Whether one likes or dislikes the images produced with a Lomo camera however, is not nearly, in my opinion, as signficant or valuable as the process lomography promotes. What I am particularly drawn to is the aim to “study and document the world’s surface by taking millions of snapshots of it”. Lomography and its 10 golden rules specifically, encourages photographers to divert from traditional norms and take risks. It challenges us to spontaneously capture the world in which we live and embrace the so-called “flaws” of the Lomo camera and the unexpected images it produces.



Being somewhat of a perfectionist, taking risks is something that I have personally struggled with and have been more reluctant to practice in photography. In a self-portrait assignment last year for instance, we were not allowed to look through the viewfinder, which, quite frankly, drove me nuts. I hated not being able to see what I was taking a picture of- what the composition looked like, what was in or out of focus, etc. I am learning to embrace a more spontaneous approach to photography which is perhaps why I am so fascinated and attracted to the Lomo philosophy. The website says, “lomographers shoot as many impossible pictures as possible in the most impossible of situations from the most impossible of positions”- what a great way to employ photography. I too think that Bowdoin should consider investing in some of these plastic, imperfect gadgets.

No comments: