Saturday, November 3, 2007

Thoughts on Animations

I have mixed feelings about this project. The final result was rather satisfying- watching everyone's animations was entertaining, thought-provoking and fun. The idea of linking still photographs together in order to bring, in my case, food and foil to life is an interesting concept that delights the eye and is incredibly mesmerizing. However, the process of creating these animations was rather frustrating and not the most enjoyable experience. The iMovie glitch was just annoying and I got tired of trying to "trick" the program into letting me do what I want. Photographing the images was also not a highlight of the project- I felt like the assignment became more about generating hundreds of images than about employing good photographic techniques and skills to create visually stimulating images. I guess one could argue that the unification of the hundreds of images is what ended up being visually stimulating. It seems with this assignment, photography was merely one of several tools we could work with and the project was more about the thought process of choosing and animating a subject as opposed to producing great photographs . I don't know- it's a process and approach I find intriguing and worthy of exploration.

And, oh yeah, my camera broke when it took a dive off the tripod during this assignment. That was not fun either and certainly shifts my mixed feeling towards the negative end of the spectrum...

No comments: